The first question visitors often ask is “How did the lake get its name?” This and other facts about the history of Moberly Lake is of interest to many community members – new and old alike! Though there are several written accounts about the lake and some of its more famous residents, like Father Jungbluth, we thought it would be good to add a page to our website. But we need your help to build it! If you have interesting facts about people or events around the lake, or can recommend some good resource material, please let us know! Over time, our little history project should grow…
- 1780s-1790s – Peter Pond and Philip Turnor, both notable explorers, traveled the Peace Country, interacting with the Beaver (or Dune-zaa) people, who had a long history of using Moberly Lake as a seasonal hunting and fishing camp.
- Late 1790s – European traders begin to visit the Moberly watershed.
- Late 1790s – The North West Company established the Rocky Mountain Fort at the confluence of the Moberly and Peace rivers.
- 1865-1868 – Henry John (Harry) Moberly leaves his position as Chief Trader for the Hudson’s Bay Company, and lives on the north shore of Moberly Lake.
- Early 1900s – The first settlers begin to move into the area.
- 1916 – The West Moberly First Nation reserve was created in 1916, covering around 2033 hectares.
- 1917 – During the Riel Rebellion, a number of Saulteau Indians moved northwest and eventually found sanctuary on the east shore of Moberly Lake. The East Moberly Lake First Nation reserve was created in 1917, covering around 3025 hectares.
- 1937 – Harry Garbitt opened the first post office at Moberly Lake.
- 1939 – St. Theresa’s Catholic Church, and later, Camp Emile, were built on the north shore by Father Jungbluth.
- 1948 – A second church, the Moberly Lake Bible Missionary Church, was started.
- Late 1940s – Olaf Paulson built a small resort and store (which later became Harv’s Resort) on the north shore.
- Mid 1950s – Ralph Parker opened Parker’s Trading Post.
- 1954 – The province made small cabin lots available for sale to the public.
- 1956 – Camp Sagitawa was established.
- 1962 – The land comprising Spencer Tuck Park on the north shore was donated to the Province by Mrs. Esme Tuck, in memory of her husband Spencer, a surveyor for the province.
- 1966 – Moberly Lake Provincial Park was established on the south shore.
- 1968 – Camp Sagitawa purchased its present day site from the Garbitt family.
Moberly Lake References:
Evans, Harvey. 2009. From Fox Moths to Jet Rangers: a bush pilots life. Harbour Publishing
Smith Matheson, Shirley. 1986. Youngblood of the Peace: The Authorized Biography of Father Emile Jungbluth, Lone Pine Publishing. Edmonton
Parker, Marion. ca. 1970. A Few Pioneers of Moberly Lake. An article in the Dorothea Calverley Collection. South Peace Historical Society.